We rejoice from the depth of our hearts for all of the students who took refuge and vows with Ven. Robina Courtin on November 3. At her request, we are organizing two follow-up events at Jewel Heart Center. It is strongly recommended that the students who took refuge or vows attend these sessions. Students who did not are also welcome to join!
- For those who took refuge, we are hosting a session on how to practice refuge on Thursday, December 10 from 7 to 9pm. It will be an opportunity to discuss with people who have been practicing refuge for some time and to be guided into the daily practices that Ven. Robina advised, such as water bowl offerings, prostrations, and purification.
“I encourage everyone who’s taken any level of commitments or vows – refuge, lay vows, bodhisattva vows, tantric vows – to attend teachings and discussions. It gives such a boost to our practice. Basically, we have a contract with our lamas, our teachers, and it feels so good to keep out word of honor with them. It opens our hearts for realizations.” – Venerable Robina Courtin
Click here for more information and to register.
For understanding refuge, pratimoksha and bodhisattva vows, here are more resources:
- Commitments, Vows and Recommended Practices for People Who Have Taken Refuge, Pratimoksha Vows, and Bodhisattva Vows (compiled by Ven. Robina Courtin)
- Which Vows Are Which? A Beginner’s Guide (FPMT)
- The Dalai Lama on Refuge (chapter from Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions)
- Why Refuge? (Lama Yeshe) and Refuge (Lama Zopa Rinpoche)
- Taking Refuge in the Three Jewels (Ven. Thubten Chodron)
- The Benefits of Taking Vows (Lama Zopa Rinpoche)
- The Five Lay Precepts: Part I and Part II (Ven. Thubten Chodron)
- Daily Practice: Vows and Commitments (Berzin Archives, especially helpful for understanding bodhisattva vows)
- Bodhisattva Vows (Geshe Tashi Tsering)
Our next Discovering Buddhism module will be Refuge in the Three Jewels on Wednesdays beginning in January 2016. If you have not already taken this module, we suggest you join as it addresses the Three Jewels and how to practice refuge. Stay tuned for details!